A mother’s love is like no other, and it does not discriminate across species lines. We may differ from our non-human neighbors in various ways, but a mother’s love is largely universal.
Just like humans, non-human animal moms spend a great deal of their time taking care of their babies and keeping them as safe as possible. They teach them important survival skills, but also know when to let their kids have some fun like this sweet polar bear mom who lets her cubs play on her.
What’s more, in certain animal groups, females work together to help raise a new baby, like in the case of African elephants.
As the World Wildlife Fund reports, “Other females in the social group help a calf to its feet after birth and show the baby how to nurse. The older elephants adjust the pace of the herd so the calf can keep stride. By watching the adults, the calf learns which plants to eat and how to access them. The females regularly make affectionate contact with the calf.”
Countless examples of motherly love exist among non-human animals, and so in honor of these amazing moms who fight day-in and day-out to keep their children safe, check out the 12 cutest photos below!
1. Rhino Mom With Her Newborn Baby
2. Panda Bear and cub
3. Mother Koala gives baby a piggy back
4. Mother bulldog with her puppy
5. Mother cat with her kitten
6. Camel with her calf
7. Caring mother dog with her puppy
8. Mother porcupine and baby porcupine
9. Mother swan with her cygnets
10. Mother crocodile handles her baby carefully
11. Proud mother with her puppies
12. Mother seal and cub